Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Easy | Yield: 6-8 Servings
2 dozens quail eggs, boiled and peeled
Enough flour for dredging or coating
Cooking oil, for frying
2 cups flour
1 cup water
1 tbsp baking powder
Salt & black pepper
1 tsp annatto powder, or a few drops of yellow/orange food coloring (I used annatto powder)
1. Start preheating the oil in a wok, or in a deep pan over medium heat.
2. In a bowl, put together the flour and eggs and mix to coat.
3. In another bowl, combine all the batter ingredients and whisk well.
4. Dip the flour-coated eggs into the batter, making sure they’re fully covered.
5. Drop them into the hot oil using a skewers and fry until the batter is crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove from wok/pan and drain on a paper-towel lined tray. Repeat the process until finished.
6. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with the spicy dipping sauce.
Spicy Dipping Sauce:
2 tbsp mince garlic
¼ cup mince onion
5-8 Siling Labuyo/Thai Peppers , chopped
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup white or brown sugar
¼ cup ketchup
2 tbsp soy sauce
½ tsp ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients in a pan, and simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved. Stir to blend, transfer to a serving bowl, let cool and serve.