- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 2 ½-inch cubes
- 2 red tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce
- 8 cups (1.8 liters) water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (8 oz) can garbanzos, rinse and drained
- 2 medium potatoes, skinned and cubed
- 1 bunch green beans, tips cut
- 4 bunches baby bok choy, heads cut
- 6-8 ripe saba/cardaba banana, roundly sliced 3 chorizo sausage, roundly sliced
- Salt and ground black peper to taste
Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large (wide and deep like wok) pot over medium heat. Sauté garlic, onion and tomatoes for 3 minutes. Add beef and pork, and fry until the meat turns brown lightly. Add tomato sauce and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add water and bouillon cubes, and simmer-boil for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the meat is tender.
Meanwhile, boil water in a medium stock pot. When ready, add the potatoes and parboil for 5 minutes. Do not cook through. Remove from boiling water and place in a plate and set aside. Add green beans and blanch for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from boiling water and add them to the potato plate. Add bok choy to the same boiling water and blanch for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from water and add to the potato and bok choy plate. Remove pot from heat and carefully dump the water in the sink.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a medium pan, then fry the banana until golden brown. Set aside. Using the same pan, quickly fry the chorizo oven high heat. Remove from heat and set aside.
Check the meat and when ready, add garbanzos, potatoes and chorizo, and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Add green beans, bok choy and banana. Season with salt and pepper, stir to incorporate the flavor. Turn off the heat. Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot over steamed white rice. Enjoy! 🙂