Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins | Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 2 hrs | Yield: 6 servings
12 Pork Ribs, preferably short
Salt and Ground Black Pepper
1 cup All-purpose Flour
8 pieces Pancetta or Bacon, diced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 whole large red Onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 whole Shallots, peeled and finely minced
5 medium Carrots, peeled and diced
1 ½ sliced Baby Mushrooms, optional
2 cups Red or White Wine
2 cups Beef or Chicken Broth (enough to almost cover Ribs)
Salt and Ground Black Pepper, for tasting
3 sprigs fresh Thyme
2 sprigs fresh Rosemary
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
1. Salt and pepper ribs, then dredge in flour. Set aside.
2. In a large dutch oven, cook pancetta or bacon over medium heat until complete crispy and all fat is rendered. Remove and set aside. Do not discard grease.
3. Add olive oil to pan with the pancetta grease, and turn heat to high. Brown ribs on all sides. Remove ribs and set aside. Turn heat to medium.
4. Add onions, garlic, shallots, carrots and mushrooms to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in wine and stir. Bring to a boil and cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Add wine and broth, and season with salt and ground black pepper. Taste and add more salt if needed. Add ribs to the liquid; they should be almost completely submerged. Add thyme and rosemary sprigs on top.
6. Put on the lid and place into the oven. Cook for 2 hours, or until ribs are fork-tender. Remove pan from oven and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes, lid on, before serving. Transfer to a serving plate, spooning a little juice over the top and serve!
Side Note: This dish is best serve with Polenta, Mashed or Baked Potatoes!