- ½ lb. lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground veal
- 2 ½ cups bread crumbs, divided
- 3 extra-large eggs, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- ¼ cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ chopped fresh italian parsley
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Preheat the oil in a deep fryer, or dutch oven (halfway full) to 300º F.
In a large bowl, place together the beef, veal, 1 cup of the bread crumbs, 1 of the 3 eggs, garlic, onion, chives, basil, parsley, bell pepper, red pepper, and salt and pepper. Mix with your hand(s) until well incorporated. Roll the meat mixture into balls measuring 2-inches in diameter, or to your preference.
Meanwhile, place the 1 ½ remaining bread crumbs in a small bowl. In another bowl, put the milk, the remaining 2 eggs, and the flour, and whisk until well blended. Dip the meat balls in the milk batter, shaking off the excess batter, and roll the balls in the flour to coat. Fry the meat balls for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat the process until done. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 15-20 minutes | Yield: 1-2 dozens | Level: Intermediate