- 2 lbs. boneless pork belly, skin off and cut into 1/2-inch thick, 3-inch wide
- 2/3 cup (low sodium) soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 gloves garlic, peeled and slightly crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon red crushed pepper, optional (if you like it a little spicy)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 large red onion, ring sliced or diced
- salt to taste
- fresh chives, for toppings, optional
In a large non-stick pot, put the sliced pork. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, water, garlic, sugar, peppercorns, red crushed pepper and bay leaves. Cook for about 30 minutes, or until the meat is 90% cooked and tender, uncovered. Do not stir. Add the onion, and salt to taste. Simmer for another 5-8 minutes, or until most of the liquid evaporates, and the meat produces its grease.
Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh chives. Serve over (jasmine) rice.